This course is designed to give you an all-round experience of the public services sector. You will expand on your prior knowledge by developing your expertise in amongst other things, Leadership, Fitness, Map Reading and Navigation, Careers and Outdoor and Adventurous Expeditions.
As part of this course there are volunteering opportunities with the Police and Army, as well as the potential to go abroad to work placements in Finland and Slovenia. This qualification carries UCAS points and is recognised by higher education providers as meeting admission requirements for many relevant, specialist courses.
English and Maths at grade 4 or above, three other GCSEs at grade 4 or above. Satisfactory attendance record and adherence to deadlines. A Level 2 in Public Services or Teamwork and Leadership would be beneficial but not essential.
A good level of fitness.
Assessment will be a blend of practical and classroom activities.
All assessments are internal though assignments and practical observations, there are no exams.
- You will develop an understanding of the uniformed public services sector and the influence of the work of the uniformed services
- You will ascertain an understanding of the personal commitment and fitness requirements needed to be employed in a uniformed service role and develop these throughout the course.
- You will undertake recruitment interviews and selection processes to prepare for a career in the uniformed services.
Units and Modules include:
- Prepare for a career in a chosen uniformed service
- Develop aspects of physical fitness for entry to the uniformed services
- Develop leadership skills
- Equality, diversity and inclusion
- Carry out map reading and navigation across open country
- Outdoor and adventurous expeditions
- The opportunity to complete the Duke of Edinburgh Award (Bronze or Silver)
- The opportunity to participate in various adventurous activities including rock climbing, caving and abseiling.
- The opportunity to meet current serving public service workers and observe them in their work environment
- Develop your leadership and teamwork skills
- Develop your understanding of discipline and standards in the public services
- Participate in fitness activities and tests to prepare for public service entry tests
- Develop your self-confidence and resilience
This course is recognised by, and will prepare you for entry into the Armed Forces as well as the Prison, Fire, Ambulance, Police and other uniformed services.
It offers progression opportunities to the NCFE Level 3 Diploma for Entry into the Uniformed Services course (equivalent to 2 A Levels) here at Keighley College, subject to your attendance and adherence to deadlines on your previous course.
It also supports progression to a range of higher education courses and apprenticeship opportunities in the public services.