Textiles Apprentices at Canvas Man Ltd
We design, manufacture and install one off, bespoke textile commissions, mainly for the outdoor market. Machinists are a key part of our successful, high performing team and are reliable, accurate, positive people with a commitment to quality. This is an excellent opportunity to work for a thriving employer who values and develops its employees.
Machinists are a key part of our award winning team. They are reliable, conscientious, and productive.
Key responsibilities include:
- Maintaining company reputation for manufacturing high quality products in accordance with company procedures
- Maintaining good workshop practices by ensuring a safe, clean, tidy, hazard-free working environment, ensuring that the Company’s Health and Safety Policy is adhered to at all times
- Helping create workshop policies by giving management accurate timings and participating in procedure refinement sessions
- Ensuring efficiency and effectiveness by performing routine maintenance on machines and equipment
- Communicating any relevant ideas, designs, improvements, developments and discoveries to management
- Helping with the training of others by mentoring, sharing knowledge and skills, and providing assessment of others progress
- Contributing to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed
Comprehensive training from skilled mentors will be provided in a supportive environment which will allow individuals demonstrate their work ethic.
GCSEs grade D/3 grade or above in maths and English or Level 1 Functional Skills or equivalent qualifications.
Acceptance is subject to college initial assessment and interview.
- Lifting and carrying short distances of moderate to heavy weights
- Manual (especially finger) dexterity due to the nature of the work
- Good spoken English is essential as you will need to communicate with your team
- Near Vision and Visual Colour Discrimination
- Ability to control of machinery using feet
- Excellent attention to detail and enjoy working to a high degree of accuracy
- Positive, “can do” attitude to learning new skills
A full-time, permanent position may be offered on successful competition of the apprenticeship.
- Level 2 Sewing Machinist Apprenticeship Standard
- Functional Skills, if required
- The program is delivered on a day release basis at Keighley College.
- It will last 12-15 months depending on initial assessment
The apprentice will gain both technical knowledge and real practical experience, along with functional and personal skills. These are acquired through a mix of learning in the workplace, formal off-the-job training and academic study at college.
Knowledge covers the materials used in production, specialist sewing machines used, production process, quality and quantity requirements, supply chain and customer base, policies and procedures.
Skills include workstation preparation, stitching operations, machine and workstation maintenance and to carry out instructions and communication.