Property Maintenance Operative at M&S Builders & Sons Ltd
We are a family run company specialising in plumbing, joinery and bricklaying. We do many different jobs including extensions, bathroom and kitchen fitting and weather pointing. We are looking to appoint an enthusiastic apprentice to join our friendly team.
Duties the apprentice will undertake:
- Getting tools ready for the start of the day.
- Keeping the working area tidy throughout the day.
- Ensuring any work carried out is finished to the highest standard.
- Packing up tools.
- Helping carry and pick up materials for the job. This can include some heavy lifting.
- Labouring, helping lift and carry tools and materials, finding and passing tools that are needed, doing mixes (plaster and cement mixes for example).
- Going into merchants and getting materials needed for a job. This could mean travelling in the van as some of our merchants are as far as Brighouse.
- Filling skips.
- General organisation when helping keep a job on track.
- Listening and doing as asked as right as possible first time and asking questions when unsure.
Level 1 or equivalent in English and Maths.
- Passionate and willing to learn and develop.
- We are looking for someone who is well presented in order to keep up our professional appearance in front of our loyal customers and new customers.
- Good verbal communication in order to take instructions well but also able to ask questions when unsure or wanting to learn.
- Bright and enthusiastic personality.
- Within this company it is important to us that we have a good relationship with all of our employees and that they feel comfortable and happy in work, this means in knowing that it is easy to communicate with those you work with to gain knowledge and also build a rapport.
- Driving licence preferred but not essential.
We are looking for an apprentice who is passionate about learning a variety of trades, we are hoping to find someone who fits in well with our current team and has a determination to learn more. After successful completion of the apprenticeship the apprentice will hopefully become a full time member of our team.
Things to consider
Please note, you will be required to attend a first stage interview at Keighley College before a formal interview is organised with the employer.
Standard Title: Property Maintenance Operative
Length of Programme: Minimum of 12-months
Mode of Delivery: Day Release at Keighley College
The standard includes maths and English understanding and functional application at level 1.
Core Technical Competencies/Skills and Knowledge/ Understanding of the standard:
A Property Maintenance Operative will use their knowledge and understanding of basic carpentry, electrical, plumbing and decorating to:
- Understand and demonstrate the importance of Health and Safety in the workplace
- Comply with organisational safety, policies and procedures and identify hazards and reduce them
- Consider safety compliance with a diverse sector of client groups
- Understand and demonstrate the importance of working safely at height
- Carry out repairs to the fabric of a building, for example repairs to walls, doors, doorframes, skirting boards or plaster damage to internal walls
- Understand and maintain plumbing and drainage systems, for example repairs to WC systems, leaking taps or water testing and unblocking drains
- Maintain high levels of water hygiene within a building
- Understand and maintain electrical distribution, safe repair of electrical installation to legal requirements, for example replacing damaged sockets, plugs, lighting and fuses.
- Understand and maintain plant, safety systems and equipment
- Demonstrate and implement energy, environment and sustainable practices
- Understand and maintain grounds and external fabrication of a building, such as drainage and guttering
- Understand and demonstrate the safe use of hand tools, for example screwdrivers, power drills, pliers, paper strippers and a variety other tools used in plumbing and carpentry
- Demonstrate and understand the importance of the control of resources and stock
- Understand and demonstrate the principles of Planned Preventative Maintenance
- Understand how to prepare for refurbishment or deep clean of equipment and surfaces
- Carry out repairs and reactive maintenance
- Understand the importance of customer service
- Record and report information accurately either internally or externally
Property maintenance operative