Property Maintenance Operative at Abbeyfield The Dales Ltd
Abbeyfield The Dales Ltd provides housing, support and care for people at different stages of later life across Yorkshire.
An exciting opportunity for an apprentice to join their team to provide maintenance services to all sites across the Abbeyfield The Dales. The apprentice will work in a small team to assist in resolving maintenance issues and to ensure the safety & functional running of all sites.
Day to day duties the Apprentice will undertake:
- To assist in carrying out regular checks on safety equipment, fire detection, alarm systems, emergency lighting, automatic door controls etc.
- To assist in carrying out checks on fixed equipment e.g. heating and plumbing, air conditioning, laundry equipment, general lighting & power systems
- To carry out general handyman duties e.g. replacing light bulbs for residents, assembling flat pack furniture, paper recycling
- Setting up rooms for events and activities from external groups
- Collecting meter readings from various sites
- PAT test and check functioning of portable mains powered electrical equipment
- Clean and disinfect all showerhead fittings in accordance with Legionella prevention/precautions
- To include some general garden maintenance. To keep the courtyard, patio areas, car parks, entrances/exits clear of debris and ice in the winter months
- Handling of kitchen waste and general rubbish to the waste holding areas
- Dealing with contractors and ordering of supplies
This job description is not exhaustive. It merely acts as a guide to the duties to be performed and may be amended to reflect the changing needs of the establishment at any time in discussion with the post holder.
- GCSEs at A*- C grades in Maths & English or equivalent qualifications.
- Punctual, friendly and a thorough approach to work
- Must be computer literate
- Proficient in maintenance tasks
- Good verbal communication skills
- Have a flexible attitude
- Commitment to quality and excellence
- Ability to perform under pressure
- Persists in the face of adversity
- Ownership of work and follow through to a satisfactory conclusion
- Client/customer focus and interaction
- Able to live the organisations values
- Ability to create effective working relationships
- Aptitude for problem solving
- Ability to comply with company policies and procedures
- Well presented
- Bright and enthusiastic personality
Possible full-time employment offer to the right candidate after successful completion of the apprenticeship.
Standard Title: Property Maintenance Operative
Length of Programme: Minimum of 12-months
Mode of Delivery: Day Release at Keighley College
The standard includes maths and English understanding and functional application at level 1.
Core Technical Competencies/Skills and Knowledge/ Understanding of the standard:
A Property Maintenance Operative will use their knowledge and understanding of basic carpentry, electrical, plumbing and decorating to:
- Understand and demonstrate the importance of Health and Safety in the workplace
- Comply with organisational safety, policies and procedures and identify hazards and reduce them
- Consider safety compliance with a diverse sector of client groups
- Understand and demonstrate the importance of working safely at height
- Carry out repairs to the fabric of a building, for example repairs to walls, doors, doorframes, skirting boards or plaster damage to internal walls
- Understand and maintain plumbing and drainage systems, for example repairs to WC systems, leaking taps or water testing and unblocking drains
- Maintain high levels of water hygiene within a building
- Understand and maintain electrical distribution, safe repair of electrical installation to legal requirements, for example replacing damaged sockets, plugs, lighting and fuses.
- Understand and maintain plant, safety systems and equipment
- Demonstrate and implement energy, environment and sustainable practices
- Understand and maintain grounds and external fabrication of a building, such as drainage and guttering
- Understand and demonstrate the safe use of hand tools, for example screwdrivers, power drills, pliers, paper strippers and a variety other tools used in plumbing and carpentry
- Demonstrate and understand the importance of the control of resources and stock
- Understand and demonstrate the principles of Planned Preventative Maintenance
- Understand how to prepare for refurbishment or deep clean of equipment and surfaces
- Carry out repairs and reactive maintenance
- Understand the importance of customer service
- Record and report information accurately either internally or externally
Property maintenance operative