You will learn by a series of practical exercises in a well-equipped workshop, backed up by relevant classroom theory. This includes an introduction to aspects of basic plumbing, heating, wiring, refrigeration and air conditioning.
As well as studying on the Level 1 certificate you will study GCSE / Functional Skills English and Maths at a level suitable to your individual needs. You will also undertake employability skills within the college.
This course is suitable for applicants that have GCSE Certificates that are between grade D to F in Mathematics and English.
Consideration may be given to applicants that are not able to produce formal certificates, but who can demonstrate the equivalent understanding and knowledge.
Your progress is assessed throughout the year. You will develop a variety of skills which will be tested by practical demonstration of your competence throughout the course.
You will also be required to sit a multiple choice exam carried out on-line to test your knowledge.
You will cover the following:
- Mandatory unit 101 H+S (3 credits)
- Unit 128 Bending and Joining copper pipes (3 Credits)
- Unit 129 Connecting piped and fittings, appliances (3 credits)
- Unit 130 (Construction Credits)
This course will introduce you to the world of building services engineering which expects its operatives to demonstrate a multi-discipline approach.
These skills will be applied over a range of systems that will allow demonstration of your understanding in a multi-discipline environment.
You can progress to a Level 2 Diploma in Plumbing at Leeds City College. You could also progress onto an apprenticeship, if you have suitable employment.
As a plumber you would install, service and repair plumbing systems in homes and businesses.
Depending on whether you work in domestic, industrial or commercial premises, your duties could include:
- Installing and repairing water supplies heating systems and drainage.
- Servicing gas and oil-fired central heating systems, boilers and radiators.
- Installing and fixing domestic appliances like showers and washing machines.
- Servicing air-conditioning and ventilation units.