It is a 1 year course (equivalent to 1 A Level) that offers progression opportunities to the BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Sports Coaching and Development course (equivalent to 2 A Levels) here at Keighley College.
This course is designed to give you an all-round experience of the sport and active leisure sector. You will expand on your prior knowledge by developing your expertise in amongst other things, Sports Coaching, Sports Development, Self Employment in Sport and School Sport Delivery.
Work placements are a compulsory part of this course and we try to offer placements in a variety of different sectors including school, community and semi professional sport based settings. The practical experience you will gain, alongside your teaching will prepare you for the next steps of your career.
This course is backed by some major employers and professional bodies, such as: Rugby Football League, Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity (CIMSPA), League Football Education, Skills Active and Sports Coach UK. This qualification carries UCAS points and is recognised by higher education providers as meeting admission requirements for many relevant specialist courses.
You will also have the opportunity to represent the college sports teams competing in the regional AOC league competitions.
English and Maths at grade 4 or above, three other GCSEs at grade 4 or above. Satisfactory attendance record and adherence to deadlines. Ideally a Level 2 or GCSE in sport but this is not essential.
An interest in sport and a good level of fitness.
Assessment will be a blend of practical and classroom activities.
All assessments are internal though assignments and practical observations, there are no exams.
- This course is for people wanting to progress directly to employment in the coaching and development sector as a coach
- The qualification is endorsed by the Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity (CIMSPA), which has confirmed that the qualification is fully mapped to its professional standards of a coach
- Learners will undertake work placements in real life sport settings in the community.
Units and Modules:
- Careers in the Sport and Active Leisure Industry
- Health, Wellbeing and Sport
- Developing Coaching Skills
- Coaching skills for sports performance
- Develop your leadership skills
- Investigate career pathways in the sport and active leisure industry
- Strengthen your knowledge of sports development providing the foundations for a future career in this area
- Work placement opportunities in a variety of sports settings and abroad
- Participate in outdoor, adventurous activities such as rock climbing and abseiling
Careers/ProgressionThis qualification provides opportunities for self-employment in the coaching and development sector as a sports coach. It also supports progression onto the Level 3 Diploma in Sport Coaching and Development as well as apprenticeships.