This course is designed to give you an all-round experience of the sport and active leisure sector. You will expand on your prior knowledge by developing your expertise in amongst other things, Sports Coaching, Sports Development, Self Employment in Sport and School Sport Delivery.
Work placements are a compulsory part of this course and we try to offer placements in a variety of different sectors including school, community and semi professional sport based settings. The practical experience you will gain, alongside your teaching will prepare you for the next steps of your career.
This course is backed by some major employers and professional bodies, such as: Rugby Football League, Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity (CIMSPA), League Football Education, Skills Active and Sports Coach UK. This qualification carries UCAS points and is recognised by higher education providers as meeting admission requirements for many relevant specialist courses.
You will also have the opportunity to represent the college sports teams competing in the regional AOC league competitions.
English and Maths at grade 4 or above, three other GCSEs at grade 4 or above. Successful completion of Level 3 Extended Certificate. Satisfactory attendance record and adherence to deadlines.
An interest in sport and a good level of fitness.
Assesment TypesAssessment will be a blend of practical and classroom activities. All assessments are internal though assignments and practical observations, there are no exams.
- This course is for people wanting to progress directly to employment in the coaching and development sector as a coach
- The qualification is endorsed by the Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity (CIMSPA), which has confirmed that the qualification is fully mapped to its professional standards of a coach
- Learners will have the opportunity to broaden their careers opportunities into school sport as well as coaching.
You will study the following units:
- Applied Coaching Skills
- Sports Development
- Self Employment in Sport and Physical Activity
- School Sport Delivery
- Coaching skills for sports performance
- Develop your leadership skills in school sport settings
- Strengthen your knowledge of sports marketing practice
- Work placement opportunities in a variety of sports settings and abroad
- Participate in outdoor, adventurous activities such as rock climbing and abseiling
Careers/ProgressionThis qualification provides opportunities for self-employment in the coaching and development sector as a sports coach. It also supports progression to a range of higher education courses and apprenticeships.