The programme delivers the knowledge and skills needed to meet the Register of Exercise Professional Standards (REPS), which allows you to work as a gym instructor. It helps you develop a wide range of transferable skills and involves a work placement that can be conducted in a range of fitness settings.
This year-long course provides you with the core skills required for working in the health and fitness industry. It combines both practical and theoretical elements to help you develop the knowledge and understanding employers look for, while preparing you for progression into further study or employment.
- Minimum of four GCSEs at grade D or above, including English and/or ideally maths, or equivalent (eg. Level 1 Functional Skills)
- Interest and experience in physical activity
- Good level of fitness
Assessment TypesLearners will be assessed through a blend of classroom assignments and practical gym-based observations. There are no external exams.
Below are the units covered in this course:
- Anatomy & Physiology for Exercise
- Maximising the Customer Experience in a Gym Environment
- Supporting Client Health and Wellbeing
- Conducting Client Consultations and Gym Inductions
- Planning and Reviewing Gym-Based Exercise Programmes
- Instructing and Supervising Gym-Based Exercise Programmes
Within this course, you will:
- Develop your communication, leadership and fitness instructing skills
- Complete a course that allows you to register with REPS
- Develop an understanding of maintaining a healthy lifestyle
- Take advantage of work placement opportunities in a variety of fitness settings
Progression could include:
- Personal Training Level 3
- Other Level 3 qualifications in the sports and fitness sector
- Employment within the sports and fitness industry