A level 3 course to develop the student’s ability to carry out technical inspection, testing and diagnostic fault finding on a modern motor vehicle.
The course consists of 5 units, covering the diagnostics and testing of different areas of the modern motor vehicle. Each unit will consist of theory lessons, workshop practical’s and an online multiple-choice end test. An additional theory unit has been included to work safely around electric vehicles.More about STEM
Who is this course for?Candidates who wish to progress into a career as a vehicle technician, auto-electrician of MOT tester.
- GCSE Grade 4 or higher in Maths and English
- A previous Level 2 in Maintenance and repair
- Practical observations
- Written job card reports
- Online multiple choice exams
- Skills & Knowledge in Diagnosing and Rectifying Light Vehicle Chassis System Faults
- Skills & Knowledge of Diagnosis and Rectification of Light Vehicle Combustion Engine Faults
- Skills & Knowledge of Diagnosis and Rectification of Light Vehicle Transmission and Driveline Faults
- Skills & Knowledge in the Diagnosing and Rectifying of Automotive Vehicle Auxiliary Electrical Faults
- Knowledge of Carrying Out Non-High Voltage Operations On, Near or With an Electric Vehicle
Benefits/SkillsA level 3 diploma with a recognised awarding body, allowing for future progression as a vehicle technician, auto-electrician of MOT tester.
Careers/ProgressionVehicle technician, auto-electrician of MOT tester.
Did you know?Diagnostics
Jobs in this sectorLive data from the DoE's LMI API
Vehicle body builders and repairersAverage Salary
Metal working production and maintenance fittersAverage Salary
Vehicle technicians, mechanics and electriciansAverage Salary
Rail construction and maintenance operativesAverage Salary
Precision instrument makers and repairersAverage Salary
Garage managers and proprietorsAverage Salary
34,439Job market for 2022
35,185Esimtated job market for 2025Estimated 746 future jobs in the next 3 years.
Vehicle and parts salespersons and advisersAverage Salary
Electricians and electrical fittersAverage Salary
Vehicle paint techniciansAverage Salary
Rail and rolling stock builders and repairersAverage Salary