Designed for those with little or no experience in computing for the underpinning knowledge that could aid progress to further education or employment.
Please note, this course is only available for students aged 19 and over at the start of the course, and is an evening class.
OverviewThe qualification provides basic level skills and knowledge that could lead to further education in IT or related areas, as well as underpinning other educational sectors. It can offer those moving into their first job roles the confidence to work effectively with ICT and deal with tasks that are straightforward or routine.
- Competent of working at Level 2 standard
- Preferable English and Maths GCSE at grade 4
- Subject to aptitude test
Candidates will be required to complete at least one of the following methods or a combination of methods of assessment for each unit undertaken that clearly demonstrates the learning outcomes and assessment criteria have been met. This may be done by one or a mix of the following assessment methods:
- portfolio of evidence taken from activities involving the use of contemporary ICT systems
- assignment work
- e-assessment provide by City & Guilds
- knowledge tests
- scenario-based assessment
- witness testimony
- professional discussion
Some of the units studied are:
- Improving Productivity Using IT
- Using Email
- Using the Internet
- Specialist Software
- Set Up an IT System
Benefits/SkillsWith guidance a learner will be able to operate information and communication software or hardware with knowledge and understanding in the topics they undertake.
On completion of these qualifications learners may progress into employment or to the following City & Guilds qualifications:
- City & Guilds Level 4 Higher Professional Diploma in Information Management Using ICT (4447)
- related qualification in the IT adjacent sectors (e.g. IT Practitioner/Professional and Contact Centres)