Sport BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma (Development, Coaching and Fitness)
Course Code: 25670-01
This course provides an exciting opportunity for anyone who is interested in the theoretical and practical aspects of sport, providing an ideal starting point if you wish to pursue a career in the sporting industry or progress to higher education.
|Cost||16-18 No Fee, 19+ £7395 (Fees may be subject to change) Advanced Learner Loan may be applied for.|
|When 10/09/2018||Duration24 months|
This study programme leads 180 credit qualification over two years and could provide you with as many as 168 UCAS points. The course will develop a range of practical skills and techniques, theoretical knowledge and understanding and personal skills and attributes that are essential for successful performance in the working life.
As part of this course there are opportunities for international work experience in Finland and Slovenia. We also offer enrichment trips and visits to London visiting major sporting venues, the national cycling centre in Manchester to experience where the British Olympic team train on Velodrome and BMX, as well as regular outdoor adventurous activities.
Units that you may cover are:
- Anatomy and physiology
- You will explore how the skeletal, muscular, cardiovascular and respiratory systems function and the fundamentals of the energy systems.
- Fitness training and programming for health, sport and well-being
- You will explore client screening and lifestyle assessment, fitness training methods and fitness programming to support improvements in a client’s health and well-being.
- Professional development in the sports industry
- In this unit, you will research the different possible careers and the associated job roles in the sports industry, then action plan your development towards achieving a selected career aim.
- Sports leadership
- This unit aims to develop your confidence in a variety of different roles when leading sport. These roles range from coach, to official, to captain or personal trainer. You will be guided through the requirements of effective leadership and this will develop your knowledge and understanding of the leader’s role, the key skills, qualities and characteristics.
- Practical sports performance
- You will study the skills, techniques , tactics and rules of selected sports through active participation in individual/team sports.
- The skills to administer a variety of fitness tests and provide training plans for clients
- Study sports coaching, practical team sports and exercise for specific groups and develop coaching skills
- Be given the chance to complete a suitable work experience within the sports industry and gain new skills throughout a variety of units within the sport development, coaching and fitness sector
- Self-confidence to run a multitude of sporting activities for all levels of age and ability
- Team working and communication to help you to succeed in the modern working environment
There are no exams; you will be assessed through coursework.
Assessment methods include online quizzes, discussion forums and blogs, case studies and observations of practical exercises. You can design a website, make a film and write reports as a part of the on-going assessment. Each unit has its own assessment targets and we use Google Classroom to help with access to teaching resources and the handing in of assignments.
This course is delivered at Keighley College in the classrooms, gym and outdoor recreational activities but you will also be expected to visit places of interest outside of college to enhance what you learn about in the classroom. You will also be expected to work independently, taking advantage of the resources we provide through Google Classroom and Google apps to help you with this.
We offer many opportunities for trips and visits that also enrich and support the learning on our Sports courses.
A minimum of 5 GCSEs at Grade 4 or above including English and ideally Maths, or a Level 2 Diploma at Merit grade with GCSE English at Grade 4 or above and ideally Maths.
If you are under 19 and you do not already have English and Maths GCSE grades 4-9 or equivalent you will be required to undertake GCSE or Functional Skills alongside your main qualification.
After completing the course you will be able to apply for positions in the sporting industry, or you may choose to progress onto a Higher Education programme.
If you are aged 19 or over and considering enrolling on a further education course at Level 3 or above, you may be entitled to an Advanced Learner Loan to help with course fees.
Click on the link below to take you to the Gov.uk advice page for the Advanced Learner Loan. Please note, you will not be able to apply for funding until you have been offered a place and been given a letter from the college.